1.09.2011

to my close friends and family, a confession

Dear Friends and Family,

Let me get to the point, before I scare anyone: I have an inappropriate relationship with alcohol, and if I wasn't already an alcoholic, I was well on my way. A few of you will not be shocked at all. Many of you may be rocked to the core, and for that, please forgive me for telling you in such an impersonal way. Realize that I chose to tell you this way for fear I might not tell you at all otherwise, so that I might continue this inappropriate relationship with alcohol without you being the wiser.

I want to tell you that this is not a reason to be sad for me, though you may be as astounded as I am that this has become a part of my life. Alcoholism is rampant in my family tree, and so don't think that my problems with it are a sign of unhappiness. In fact, it is my happiness and levelheadedness, as well as my recent decision to head my anxiety issues head-on, that has allowed me to make the decision to remove alcohol from my life permanently. Be happy that I will never again find myself feeling ill after indulging my addiction.  Be happy that my realization comes now in this good time in my life, before it has affected my job, marriage, or finances. Be happy that I have come to realize that there shouldn't be shame in having a problem with alcohol, though there is shame in indulging it.

I also want you to know that if you didn't see it in me, it wasn't your fault -- I strove to hide it. A very good friend of mine once said one of the most true things about me: that I am great at seeming as if I am open person, while in fact, it is such a core reaction for me to keep quiet about my real emotions or perceived imperfections that I never think to share them even with those closest to me. The bulk of my problem-drinking was while I nobody was around, in a perceived attempt to relax, though it often ended in anything but a relaxed state. What you might've seen is that I could and did go days or weeks without alcohol. But what you never could see is that alcohol enters my mind at inappropriate times -- such as in stressful meetings or while grocery shopping. What you couldn't see is that after a single sip of alcohol, I have a physical impulse that tells me that no amount of alcohol will be enough. Most people could easily accept the idea of never drinking again without a second thought; it gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. So, it's time to leave it behind.

I finally admitted my problem with alcohol to myself this past week, and told Mike the first day we were in person after that. On that first night, we dumped out our Anniversary Champagne together. The morning after, though I told him he didn't have to, I walked in on him opening and emptying every one of the beers in his collection.

I want you feel free to ask me any questions -- I did not send this in a email to avoid talking a discussion, but to ensure that I tell everybody that should know. In fact, talking about it will help me, since hiding my problem has been such a big part of my life for so long.  Feel free to talk amongst yourselves about it, as well, but I would appreciate if you would do so only out of respect and love. Know that the only thing I'm asking of you is your support of keeping alcohol out of my own body. Also, please don't see this as an indication that you  need to tiptoe around me: I'm lucky enough that, even though I have this problem, none of my relationships are founded in alcohol.

I have been sober for 5 days. I plan to stay sober for the rest of my life.

Thanks for all of your love and understanding,
Melissa

3 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong in having a problem, the crime is doing nothing about it. The program works,in time you will see that being a alcoholic might be the best thing that ever happened to you.

    keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. Keep up the good work. How many days has it been now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was four months yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete